Sunday, October 19, 2008

I didn't meet him, but I met his great-grandson today.


"Senator, I served with Jack Kennedy. I knew Jack Kennedy. Jack Kennedy was a friend of mine. Senator, you're no Jack Kennedy." Lloyd Bentsen to Dan Quale, during the 1988 Vice Presidential debate.

I grew up knowing Lloyd Bentsen. When I was able to vote I voted for him. I never met Senator Bentsen but I met his wife and baptized his great-grandson today. He cried when I held him but what a beautiful child.

In fact, today my wife and I baptized five children...all belonging to the same extended family. What a beautiful morning.


"No, I didn't serve with Lloyd Bentsen. I did not personally know Lloyd Bentsen. Lloyd Bentsen was not a personal friend. But, I did baptize his great-grandson!"

In my neck of the woods that's an honor.

No comments: