Wednesday, May 14, 2008

stumbling blocks to faith...


Heard around the church this past week...

"They can't change."
"I can't change."
"You don't know, you can't know."
"You don't understand."
"Their inability to plan is not my emergency."
"Sunday's service was good, full of energy, but..."

What are the stumbling blocks?
"Can't"
"Don't"
"Not"
"But"


These are just a few of the words that cause people to stumble in the journey called faith. The task of removing such obstacles from the path way can at times seem impossible.

Everyone
has the ability to change.
Change is simply part of life.


I do understand more than you think
and everyone
has the ability to change.


I can learn what I don't know
and everyone
has the ability to change.


No I'm not responsible
for all of your life
and yes I am called to be
inconvenienced
to help you.


The word "but"
negates everything
you just said.
Next!


2 comments:

Reverend Shawn said...

Very good primer ... should be taught in the first day of classes at EVERY Seminary and Theology College ... hmmm ... I may pass this on to a friend teaching in a college in the Caribbean - maybe they can start the next Reformation.

The one word you left off the list is "NO" ... not that using it is a stumbling block, but the modern church's inability to use it appropriately has become a huge stumbling block to faith and discipleship ... too many crisis in the life of the church could be avoided if someone simply said - "NO!" rather than being wishy-washy and trying to be NICE ...

Keep the faith brother ... you're helping me keep mine !!!

My Own Woman said...

but...but...but.... how can I excuse myself from my behavior if I can't keep my stumbling blocks in place? :)

Great post!