Friday, May 16, 2008

why "no" did not make my list of stumbling blocks.


For my friend in Canada and all others who have wisdom to say no! I wrote this before reading your blog entry. I wrote in response to your response to me!

In my twenty years of ministry I have not encountered many people who have had the wisdom, courage, or faith to say no.

I have counseled many people who refuse to say no...
even when they are in danger. It is critical to say no to an abusive husband, addicted child, or any other person or habit that works to destroy life.

I've witnessed church governing bodies who were unwilling to say no...even when they knew this was the only faithful response.

I've watched children and teens stretched to thier limits, filled with high levels of anxiety all because parents don't have the wisdom to say no when their children become involved in too many activities.

In many instances we have become a culture and a church without the ability to say no...

How many of us need to say no to food, alcohol, guns, debt, gasoline....

I long for church leaders to have the courage to say no as a result of discernment.

I long for the courage to say no to members who hold on to unrealistic expectations or misinformed opinions.

I long for my children to have the courage and faith to say no to those who would lead them astray.

I respect those who say no when that answer is not based in denial or fear.

Saying "no" can be a faithful response.

I've not experienced many faithful "nos".
More often I hear "cant's", "buts", and "what if's".
Give me a good faithful "NO" any day.


1 comment:

Reverend Shawn said...

AMEN!!!!!

PREACH IT BROTHER !!!!
PREACH IT !!!!!

I LOVE this entry !!!!

... now about that book ... shall we dust off the files and get back to it ???

Chapter one - Stumbling & Building Blocks of Faith ...???