Wednesday, September 3, 2008

what does a closed door mean?

When coming to a closed door, what does it mean to you? If the door is yours then of course you have the right and the freedom to open it. If the door does not belong to you there are options. Knocking on the door before opening the door is desired. I learned this simple lesson when growing up.

Today, I chose to close my office door for a variety of reasons.

First, my current office opens to a busy entrance and hallway. It's hard to concentrate sometimes so I close the door.

Second, I needed to read several chapters and articles for my upcoming class. It's hard to concentrate when the door is open, so I closed it.

Third, I was not in the mood to hear all the Wednesday morning banter so I closed my door.


The key concept is that I closed the door to my office. The surprising thing is that three people walked into my office without knocking. They opened the door as if it were the door to their clothes closet at home.

When they opened it and saw my startled expression none of the three asked if it was o.k. to interrupt or come in. They all three opened the door, came in and begin talking.

One needed a listening ear.
One had a kind message.
One was angry and ended up yelling at me.


I didn't think I would need to lock my door. I thought the door being closed was enough.

I recall hearing that the last pastor hung signs on his doors: "Please knock." That message angered a good many people in the church.

Today I understand why that former pastor needed to post signs. He did say please. I may not.


Knock before you come in next time. Please.


5 comments:

Stushie said...

I record my podcasts in the office, so I put a card up that states "recording.' I don't get disturbed when I do that.

It works all the time...but when I don't mind being interrupted, I leave the door half open. People can come in at any time and often do.

Remember, people are your ministry. Pastors who become aloof in their own academic towers end up alienating themselves from the congregation.

Reverend Shawn said...

When I was in active ministry, I seldom closed my door ... but when I did, I had few interuptions ... might be a Canadian thing, but a closed door generally means a knock is in order ...

Closing a door is not being aloof or unavailable - it just means - "I NEED TIME" ... I see potential to work this whole concept into a sermon my friend ... cause after all the Man himself said - "knock and the door shall be opened unto you ..." methinks that would pre-suppose a closed door!!

Hang in there buddy !!

PT Pastor said...

There are narcissist and then there are narcissist. The three none knocker fall in the category 2.

Most of us fall in category 1. Pastors who think they know everything included (that includes me)

Martha Gibbs said...

Just put up a big sign that says:

Please Do Not Disturb!
Meeting with God in session!

:-) your friend in Ky.

praying postmodern said...

I had to move my office to a less busy place in the building just to escape the noise of the church office. Thankfully, this congregation did respect my saying, "If my door is open come on in. If my door is closed I am either praying or working on a sermon, both of which are for the benefit of the church."