Friday, August 1, 2008

the garage no longer has power...

The garage no longer has power over my life. So many times in the past year I have procrastinated. I cleaned around the edges a few times. When we were in a season of storms I had to push stuff to one side to get the car with the leaky windshield in. A friend tackled the mess and order momentarily ruled. (A friend who cleans your garage is truly a friend!!)

We had boxes stacked, unopened since moving here four years ago. My son is quite proficient in filling up the garage. I traced a trail of evidence that proved how he had spent some of his hours, stuff like a jam box taken apart with a hundred scattered pieces.

Today, one of the hottest days of the year I spent most of the day in the garage. I unpacked and packed, swept and bagged trash. Thankfully we are having a gigantic garage sale at church! I took three truck loads of stuff to be sold.

I'll never forget our African student who lived with us for quite some time. When he saw the garage he asked, "What is this room for?" We told him. He replied, "Americans have too much stuff." Indeed.

I have less and the garage no longer has power over my life. Now on to bigger things.


1 comment:

zoz said...

Congratulations on a job well done! Your garage looks wonderful! I'm really proud of you, because I know from experience what a difficult job this is, on many levels.