Friday, June 20, 2008

I'm a new guest columnist of local newspaper

I simply wrote three brief but passionate posts on the local newspaper blog. Each of my posts have to do with poverty and the homeless in the city where I live. The third post caused a reaction from the Mayor and the newspaper!

What a surprise! In the same week I had the Mayor visit me in my office and was asked today to be a monthly guest columnist in the local neighborhood section. It took three minutes for me to respond. YES! I will.

I've never considered myself that great of a writer. Oh, I've gotten better at expressing myself the older I've gotten.

I'll take this opportunity and do my best to make a difference. I can't write about poverty and the homeless forever. I will write about these issues until I inspire leaders to action. However, I need other topics to write about. Some I know I will write about are:

My friendship with an African American Muslim
Living in a multi-ethnic neighborhood
Taking time to be quiet in a world of cell phones
Why children need to worship with adults
Local visual artists and their passion
Labyrinths to walk in the area
Why all suburban cities are not all the same
Surprising photos of beautiful spots in our city
How Restaurants have become an extension of our home

Why don't you share a few topics I might explore in my guest columns!

3 comments:

Reverend Shawn said...

Jesus said - "the poor will always be with us ..." and he didn't mean it as an excuse for complacency ... he meant it as a reminder to NOT stop thinking about what I/you/we can do about their situation...

Until the last child is fed, until the last family is housed, until the last shelterless person is helped with thier addictions, there IS lots to write about ... I'm doing a monthly column in a weekly paper in Brandon as the Homelessness Coordinator talking about the same things !!!

Rock their world and their understandings Blake ... you can do it !!

Mom&more said...

I am impressed. I will be watching the paper for you articles. You are a very passionate, yet opinionated writer and I think they recognize this as an asset to their paper. I read your blog regularly and find you very interesting. I don't always agree but that is what is good about it. I think it is a great compliment to you and your talent.

Fat Doctor said...

Will you put a link to the online paper on your sidebar please?

Also, will you still remember us all when you are famous?