Monday, June 2, 2008

I want to go places....


He's three years old. He had outpatient surgery today. I can only imagine what a hospital looks like from the view of a three year old; bright, big, loud, certainly things that are scary like needles and medicine.

He called me this morning....with his dad's help. My wife brought the phone to me. "Your little friend wants to talk to you before surgery" she said. I swear....I teared up. He wanted to talk with me. O.k. most likely mom and dad needed to fill the time as they waited.....but they filled part of the time with me and I was touched.

Here's the lesson of the week, month, year, lifetime: Listen to a child and you just may learn something valuable. My little friend was fine. He was about to have surgery but for him it was an adventure. He was going places.

Lately, he has discovered the thrill and excitement of going places. As long as he was going places today he was fine!

We adults, and the church in particular, need to remember the thrill and excitement of going places. Really this is what God called us to do from the beginning. Living faith is not about staying put...its all about going places. God promises to meet us where we are and deeply loves us, but God also promises not to leave us the same.

My little buddy did well today, hopefully he is fast asleep at this moment in his new big boy bed.

Good night friend.


No comments: