Monday, May 12, 2008

in memory...

While reading my Canadian friend, Prairie Preachers blog I was reminded of my grandmother telling me about her uncle who was killed in the line of duty in San Antonio. Here is the information shared by the San Antonio police.



1933
Death of Henry Perrow
Date of death: 12/11/1933
Cause of death: Shot by a Dillinger gang member

Detective Perrow was pursuing a member of the Dillinger Gang, and cornered the fugitive in an alley of the 400 Block of East Commerce. During the gun battle that ensued Detective Perrow was wounded and died. Detective Perrow was 56 years old and had served 15 years on the department.


As a child my grandmother told me this story again and again. While living in San Antonio I discovered her story to be true when standing in line at the police station to pay a traffic ticket. The line was a bit long thankfully. I had time to look around. I noticed the memorial wall and there my grandmother's uncle was just as my grandmother had told me.

My son and I searched for the alley on the 400 Block of East Commerce and discovered that one of our favorite restaurants was there. I first ate at Schilo's Delicatessen
when I was 12.

No comments: