Monday, December 31, 2012

thirteen





photos by thom roberts
 
on the eve
of another
new year...
twenty
thirteen

i rummage
through a few old
things while
at my parents home

a hundred year old bear
a benjamin bunny book from 1932
and a mummy locket
bought
in egypt
during world war one
by my great-great
grandfather

i've also read some letters
written in 1913

i hold these old things
as i look to the
days that are about to unfold

stories from the
past
mosey along
with stories
about to be

days tick away all year long
but it's this
last day of
the year
that causes us to
remember
while we look forward

today
i am in the middle
of grace

bookends of grace

behind me
and in front of me

all the struggle
and heartache
and tears
that have been
seem less
potent
in this moment
because
grace has
opened up
again
and i can
see and feel
and sense

i anticipate
goodness...

for you see
13 is
a very good number in my life

the thirteenth day has
always been good to me

it was the day i was born

now i get to
live a 13th year

i'm ready
i'm
ready!

No comments: