Friday, August 5, 2011

voices of sanity and grace

what happens
when you get fixated
on this
or that?


finishing
or not finishing

in particular.

i spoke a lot of words
to her
i tend to do that.

i've done this
and realistically
this is what is going to happen
i stated with
confidence.

"oh, o.k.", she said.
"let's write that down."

and she wrote
down
the polar
black and whites
of my words.

then she looked
at me
and asked

"what about the middle?"

what about the
living you are doing now?

what about the work
and the words
and the learning
you are busy doing
now?

live the middle
and you
can't be
so sure
about the
way it ends.

and then
she said it again...

yet another person
who has said this to me...

o.k.
i'm beginning to hear
the message.

she said,
"you are trying to hard!"

so
sanity
and grace
and living
life
right here
right now...
and who knows
where that will lead me.


by the way
he said the very same thing to me
the day before.

a double
helping!

1 comment:

Sandi said...

I'm reading One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. She speaks of living in the middle. It offers a visual of sorts vs "present".

Nice reminder. Thanks.