Friday, May 6, 2011

stories need to be spoken...


"I attended a funeral in southern Kentucky yesterday
of a man I did not know.
His sister is a parishioner and that is why I was there.
During the course of the afternoon I heard many stories
about the man who had died.

During the telling of the stories
I began to cry and laugh as if I had known him all my life.
That's the power of a story.

When we have debates about ordination standards
on the floor of Presbytery
what we are really talking about are people.

We are talking and voting about people.
However, the people we are talking and voting about
do not have the ability to share their stories.
They cannot stand at these microphones on the floor of Presbytery
or sit with the Committee on Ministry
and share their stories.
We (the church) don't let them.

If we can't hear a persons story,
then how can we know who it is we are talking and voting about.
We can't.

It's only when we encounter life stories
that we begin to know a person.
Stories open the way for loving others,
understanding others,
accepting others."

These are the words I spoke during the meeting of the presbytery.
Others spoke too.
And then we all voted.
The Presbytery of Middle Tennessee
voted in favor of Amendment 10-A 93 for, 86 against.
The adoption of this amendment will
allow for all people to share their life stories
in the process of seeking ordination.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Jennifer said...

Amen. Amen. Amen.