Wednesday, December 29, 2010

a few lone star treasures...




Sitting here in Texas
for a bit of time
with space to ponder.

Texas has a reputation
for better and worse...

But tucked away here and there
are some real treasures...

Three
who helped make this
state a much better place...

Perhaps because they
not only spoke...
they lived what they spoke.

And along the way
left us with words
to savor for
generations to come.


The three women:

Barbara Jordan

Molly Ivins

Ann Richards


I'll be sharing
some of their
words...

And then...
you go ahead and
share with me
women from your
state or country who
have left such a deep legacy.

We need to know their stories .

1 comment:

Linda said...

I was born in New Jersey but I spent my most formative years in Bucks County, PA. A woman who made a difference from hometown of Doylestown was Margaret Mead who was a cultural anthropologist. She was brilliant, but also controversial, which makes me love her even more. She died in 1978 just a few months after I graduated from high school and I must admit I did not know much about her until I had left Bucks County. Sometimes we have to leave a place to appreciate what was right there in front of us all along.