Tuesday, May 18, 2010

offer a helping hand...


How many times have I heard
the message...
the lesson...
the plea...
the invitation?

Take time to take care of yourself.

Yes, I've spent a life time hearing those words
especially in the world of ministry.
"In order to serve others well
you must also take care of yourself."

"Take your day off! Take all your vacation days!
Carve out time each week, each day
to rest and reflect."

How many times have I and my colleagues
heard these words
and yet
ignored them.

We believe that if....
just if...
we do one more thing
then we will be
appreciated
by those who have called and installed us.

Oh, it's not about being appreciated we say...
but that is simply not the truth.
All people want to be appreciated.

I have finally learned
for myself

the lesson of these words.
"Take time to take care of yourself."

I didn't finally learn this lesson
from a book,
or a professor,
or a counselor,
or a doctor.

I learned how to take care of myself
from this small
congregation I am
serving in Central Texas.

This community of faith
wants what all others want...
they want to be led
and to be taken care of.


But,

they also know what it means
to not only allow
but to encourage
their pastor to
take the time he or she needs
for rest, and renewal.


A lesson
I have finally learned.
I've learned to take care of myself
without the nagging guilt
that I haven't done enough.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Blake. I'm on the way to developing my self-care plan. Bless you, Sonja

Jennifer said...

Yay for congregations who teach and nurture us as they are being taught and nurtured....