Sunday, October 4, 2009

Born Again?


I'll never forget the first time someone asked me the question:

Are you born again?


As a lifelong Presbyterian I wasn't sure what the person was asking. Now if he had asked, "Do you believe God loves you?", or "Are you a follower of Christ?", or "Do you believe God's covenant includes you?" -

I could have answered any of these questions.


Born again?

Oh, I had read scripture and knew that Jesus spoke to Nicodemus. But the Revised Standard Version of the Bible used "born from above". I had also encountered the phrase born anew, born of the Spirit.


Born again?

The first time I heard those words - I did not know what the questioner wanted from me.


Because I hesitated, the next question was posed. Are you saved? I again, hesitated, but answered yes. Then the clincher. "When?", he asked. "When what?" I responded. "When were you saved?"


What did he want? A date? All I knew was that my salvation was a result of God's doing as Jesus died on the cross and three days later raised from the dead. Is that the answer he wanted?


It wasn't. He wanted a specific date. I didn't have a specific date.....nor do I have one now. I have a story....a story revealing many dates and many people and many experiences that bring alive the gift of God's salvation. I have a story that has not yet ended.


I have been taught and believe that faith is a journey that unfolds with newness today and tomorrow and the day after tomorrow. I have been taught and believe that Christ meets me today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow giving to me what I need that I might be delivered into newness.


I know now what the young man was asking me all those years ago. He wasn't interested in hearing the story of my Baptism, or Confirmation. He did not have any interest in hearing about my Sunday school teacher Mrs. Lowery, or the incredible moment during worship when I realized Christ was present as the person passed the tray of bread to me and said, "This is the body of Christ broken for you." He didn't have time to hear about the mission trip to Africa when we realized God's amazing grace. These and many other people and expereinces are part of my story making God's salvation real.


Faith is a life long journey.

Faith is the gift of being delivered into newness today, tomorrow and the day after tomorrow.


If you have time....I'll share my story.

7 comments:

barb said...

Blake, I sat in your church for a number of years and never heard your story - so, OK, let's hear it. I don't care about a "date" - what I want to hear it that you have repented from your sins and have trusted Christ as your personal savior. I want to hear from you that faith in Christ is the only way to salvation. Those are the things that I am interested in hearing. I never, not once, ever heard this from you at the pulpit.

Only AFTER my husband and I left your church did we hear the good news of salvation. Praise God. Sadly, many of my friends are still loss - led astray by pastors who don't talk about salvation.

And, I stand behind my comments about your need for emotional and spirtual healing. Your interactions with many in session left a lot to be desired - with many wondering how you could continue to pastor.

laughing pastor said...

Anonymous is easy Barb. Anonymous is not faith.

laughing pastor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Barb you are so beautiful. Until you open your mouth. If you have so many lost friends who are you to tell pastor blake how to share the good news? You obviously have not shared it effectively with your friends. How can your criticize someone for ineffective evangelism and then admit that you are inept yourself?

Jennifer said...

I believe your faith journey is real, precious and God's gift to you. I would like to hear your story.

Tracy said...

A Faith journey is a PERSONAL journey. One embarks on it with God and with no other. One learns, listens, inspires, teaches, faulters, and continues on indefinitely. It happens in GOD's time, in GOD's way, on GOD's plan; and on no other's.

I am called to be a light to the whole human race, as are each of us; those that feel it necessary to hold their light so closely to the eyes of others are themselves blinded by their own shortcomings.

You are brave to stand in the face of ill-will, to expose yourself to insults and criticisms and remaining grounded in your faith journey.

There is only one TRUTH and only one GOD that knows it, all of it, every aspect, every intricacy, every element of every single scenario.

I pray that you remain peaceful in mind and at heart; it is clear you spend your time working towards good and hoping to share your journey with others to inspire them to do the same.

KiwiCuz said...

Thank you for your blog.
Thank you for sharing with us your journey.
Thank you for ministering to me through your words.