Monday, September 7, 2009

Did John Calvin wear Spurs?

Did you know many of us are busy celebrating John Calvin's 500th birthday? Well, we are. Part of the celebration involves what Calvin did best and what those of us who follow in his footsteps do best as well. We think and write. I came accross this interesting thought in the Presbyterian's Today magazine.

“Calvin felt that congregational singing is
a foundational
element in worship,
like a
spur
to incite us to pray to
and to praise God,
to meditate on his works,
that we may
love, honor and glorify God.”

Perhaps this is proof that
John Calvin was really a Texan!

1 comment:

Susan K. Morrow said...

To me, singing has always been the best part of any worship service. And outside of church, it is always a spiritual experience for me, whether I'm practicing my Ave Maria or singing along to "Brick House". Go, Calvin, it's your birthday!