Wednesday, November 5, 2008

overheard yesterday and today

"I'm so afraid. (in reference to Obama's possible election).
(my response: How is living in fear working for ya?)

"Don't tell me, you're not actually voting for that Obama man are you?"
(my response: Of course I voted for Obama! I am the parent of a bi-racial child and the great uncle of two bi-racial children. O...and I liked his polices too.)

"I'm fearful. (in reference to Obama's election) I don't consider myself bias but I am fearful as to what it means that he was elected."
(I truly love you with all my heart but your fear is bias. Hopefully, you will discover that bi-racial men and women, boys and girls are simply human beings created by God. Hopefully, you will soon discover that Obama's skin color
will have very little to do with his leadership.)

"We should have picked our own cotton."
(Yes, white Americans who owned cotton farms should have picked their own cotton. I guess we can surmise that because they didn't pick their own cotton with their own hands, standing on their own two feet is because they were lazy, whiny babies with boogers in their noses! Perhaps if they would have blown their noses, had the courage to stand up on their two feet and had chosen to share th
eir wealth with the very ones who made them wealthy we might have had a better story to tell. I'm sorry, I'm not proud that slavery is part of our American story!)

"Oh well, at least I'll get a tax break for taxes I didn't pay."
(Well, at least you can admit why you should have voted for O!)

"It is an Obamanation!"

(my response: It is an Obama "nation"!)

2 comments:

TCUgrad said...

While I can understand your anger and frustration with sins of the past, please realize that not everyone who opposed Obama are racists. While you can recall some narrow-minded and misguide comments from some people, I can mention some childishly outlandish things stated by supporters of Obama. Your diatribe about white lazy children with “boogers in their nose” isn’t any more of the fruit of the spirit that racism and hatred. I am excited about the future of our nation and am in prayer for Obama and, despite my disagreements with many of his economic views, pray for him and his administration.

laughing pastor said...

Yes tcugrad I can say things like lazy, boogers in their noses because my ancesters grew cotton and had slaves. I am ashamed of that history. I don't hate my ancestors, I simply am ashamed of their beliefs and actions. That happens to be my story. And of course I don't assume that all people who did not vote for Obama are racist. I only responded to the people in my life who said racist things. That's what the post was about. Of course I understand that some supporters of Obama have the ability to say stupid things.