Tuesday, November 11, 2008

chase for perfection...


"Let's just make sure we do this right." That's what he emailed me. Of course he has definite opinions as to what is right. Of course there are more ways than one way of doing things the right way. Of course when things aren't done the way some people think they should be done then it becomes just cause to complain, second guess and gossip.

I happen to live in an area of Texas that is addicted to the idea of perfection. Of course that is my opinion. Of course this is what I was taught to believe from an early age because I grew up in another part of the state. I grew up in Houston. I live in Dallas.

Houston is known for no zoning. Dallas, in particular North Dallas, is known for being shiny and very organized. At least it is to an extent. No matter what your opinion might be the culture of Houston and Dallas, in particular North Dallas are very different.

This culture seeps into the church. The need to do it right seems to be more important than the need to encourage and build up. The need to do it right gives people the idea that their criticism, second guessing and gossip are justified.

As another Texan says, "How's that working for ya?"


2 comments:

Jared said...

Wow...you have hit a nail on a head.

I believe that we are called by God to participate in the continued re-creation of the world (or God's Kingdom, whichever words you want to use.)

I believe that God will one day perfect creation, and I believe that we are called to be a part of that process.

I do not believe that anything that the church does will cause God's Kingdom to be perfect. I believe that when that happens, it will be the work of God.

At the same time, I believe that we are the Body of Christ - God's agents of perfection.

The most crucial life lesson I have learned in the last few years is twofold:

1. We absolutely must participate in the perfection of creation. It is our call, our duty, our responsibility, and our pleasure.

2. We absolutely must admit that nothing we do will cause actual perfection to occur.

In the words of one of my favorite congregations:

"We have great confidence that God will restore all of creation under the authority of Christ. We believe that every church has to ask the question: "What does it look like for us to live out that future reality today?" We are constantly exploring, questioning, and wrestling with new and creative ways to live out and communicate the teachings of Jesus. Because we see faith as a journey, change is assumed, innovation is expected, and rebirth is welcomed."

Sharon said...

LOL, I don't know much about TX, but I love me some Dr. Phil! :)