Saturday, July 5, 2008

It's baaaaack!

For two years I have not carried a cell phone.

That bit of news was disturbing to many people. "What do you mean you don't have a cell phone? How are we supposed to reach you? For gosh sakes man you are a minister! Members of your church need to be able to contact you 24 hours a day. What are you thinking?"

Seems no one failed to reach me. Eventually I got all my messages, some I wish I never heard.

Come to find out there are plenty of people who don't carry cell phones. It was as if those of us who do not carry a phone in our pocket or purse are part of a secret club. We can spot each other from a mile away.

I would dare say that non cell phone carriers are an elite group living life on the edge....risking missed messages, and requests, having to
communicate the old fashion way.....face to face!
I remember the first portable phone I used. My wife was pregnant and I had a youth event 28 miles from our house. My friend, a church member, let me borrow his portable phone just in case my wife needed to contact me. That phone came with a case.....twenty something pounds and all! Those were the days!

I remember being stranded at the airport in Kansas City. I arrived for my flight 24 hours early. I didn't read my
itinerary correctly. My best friend drove away after we said our goodbyes. I didn't have a cell phone, nor did I have his cell phone number! I had to use a public phone. Public phones aren't like they used to be. All the numbers and rules have changed.

I had to call my wife in Texas to call my friend in Kansas City who called his sister to come pick me up at the airport. I have to admit....a cell phone would have made my life easier that day.

So it came to pass. I own a cell phone again. This past week I learned how to text message! I would admit that it was not totally necessary to get all the messages I got.....but it has made my life easier.

I hate to admit it......I like my cell phone.


1 comment:

My Own Woman said...

I have a cell phone. I forget to take it when I leave the house, but by joe I have one!