Monday, July 7, 2008

I haven't sung in a year...

I can't remember the exact day ....it was sometime last year. I stopped going to choir on Wednesday nights. There are practical reasons that kept me out of the loft such as an overloaded schedule. The bottom line was that I needed a break.

The best part of my current ministry is the music on Sunday morning. Worship on Sunday mornings literally brings alive the Kingdom of God on earth.

Though I miss singing with the choir, I have greatly enjoyed listening to them this past year.
My absence from the loft has been a lesson in listening.....and discerning. I have learned that it is one thing to sing, and it is a whole other thing to listen. However, those who don't sing are not necessarily listening!

It became clear this week that I have some more listening to do.

In the tradition of the Quakers who gather to help each other discern I met with four others at the Presbytery to do just that.....listen and discern. I don't know why more of us don't do this! What stops us from listening?

It is amazing to hear what the others heard me saying. I know what I was saying.....what I didn't know was what they were hearing! When they told me what they heard.....that's when I was finally able to hear what God wanted me to hear.

I had no idea that stepping out of the choir loft a year ago would open my ears in a new way!


No comments: