Thursday, February 28, 2008

spiritual bulimia

Quote from Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne.


"I developed a common illness that haunts Western Christianity. I call it spiritual bulimia. Bulimia of course, is a tragic eating disorder....where folks consume large amounts of food but vomit it up before it has a chance to digest.

I developed the spiritual form of it where I did my devotions, read all the new Christian books and saw the Christian movies, and then vomited the information up to friends, small groups, and pastors. But it had never had the chance to digest. I had gorged myself on all the products of the Christian industrial complex but was spiritually starving to death. I was marked by an overconsumptive but malnourished spirituality, suffocated by Christianity but thirsty for God.

It was Mark Twain who said, 'It's not the parts of the Bible I don't understand that scare me, but the parts I do understand.'....For me it became hard to read the Bible and walk away as if I had just watched a nice movie. Jesus never seemed to do anything normal......The more I read the gospel the more it messed me up, turning everything I believed and valued upside-down...." (p39-40)

No comments: