Sunday, December 16, 2007

so what is patience?

Today I preached in a very personal way about patience. This past week I read a lot about patience and what it is and I have spent a good deal of time praying for patience. I've also pondered what patience does not include.

The prayer for patience does not mean that a person should remain in an abusive situation.
The prayer for patience does not mean that a person should sit idly by as others gossip and tear down.
The prayer for patience does not mean that just because a person lost his/her temper that he/she were wrong.
The prayer for patience does not mean that a person stops attempting to grow.
The prayer for patience does not mean a person automatically adopts a persons or groups dysfunction.

I've preached sermons in the past that were honest and vulnerable. I know how some people respond. When a person admits thier weakness it can open the door for further gossip and justification for all sorts of things.

I am praying for patience. I am not praying to become naive, weak and stupid.
I am praying for patience for my own sanity not anyone elses.

No comments: