Tuesday, May 5, 2020

What makes you a good story teller?



I was asked to speak about storytelling to a group.
What makes you a good storyteller? 

Early in my life, I had no clue I was born to tell stories. 

I spent the greater part of my time observing life. 
Being a passive observant was a defense mechanism.
Shame convinced me I was not legitimate and did not belong like others belonged.

Oh, I had small pockets of belonging; a few people let me in their life. 


Mostly I played a part. 


I laughed. 
Oh, you're funny, many would say. 
It was not always a compliment. 
My laughter was not always joyful.

What makes you a good storyteller? 

My grandmother. 
My children.
My coming out. 
My descent into "hell".
My slow ascent out of hell. 
My shedding of shame. 
My discovering of a sense of home.
My ability to adapt, consistently show up, take risks.
My husband who has taught me how to love every single part of life.

What makes you a good storyteller? 

Vulnerability to risk friendship and finding a new friend.
Living into confidence and no longer allowing anyone to abuse me emotionally. 
Creating boundaries and sticking to them. 

What makes you a good storyteller? 

Understanding that ordinary, simple stories are deeply powerful. 
Letting go of the idea that a story has to be perfect before sharing. 

So, I'll come to this space again.....

and share some stories.  Some I've probably shared before, but good stories are worth sharing more than once. 

No comments: